Star Wars fanboys worldwide are still reeling since Monday’s release of a new trailer for The Force Awakens, and now that almost two month gap until the movie officially debuts in theaters seems like eternity for fans of the franchise to wait for something new to come their way. Luckily, Star Wars Battlefront is releasing in less than a month, and even better news? You’ll be able to play as some more familiar faces from the original trilogy.
Battlefront developer EA DICE allowed gamers to enjoy a free beta of the popular game for a few days on the PS4 and Xbox One. During one of the missions in the beta, there were little power ups scattered throughout the map, allowing players certain abilities for a limited time. Among those power ups, there was a specific one that would allow your character to play as Luke Skywalker (while on the rebel side) and Darth Vader (while on the imperial side). This was one of the highlights of the beta, seeing as how you were powerful enough to take down multiple enemies at once. It seems the people at DICE payed attention to how much fans loved this, because now they’re giving you the ability to play as Emperor Palpatine, Princess Leia Organa, and Han Solo.
While playing as Luke or Vader, each of them had their own special skills and abilities that were noticeably unique to them, and it seems the same treatment is being given to the three new characters. We’ll break it down for you here based on some insight from the Star Wars Battlefront website and Sony:
- Will be portrayed as deceptive and very mobile, while truthfully very powerful
- Force Dash: swift movement, allows for quick assault on rebels
- Force Lightning: main attack; deals heavy damage; chained lightning variation sends lightning in multiple directions, dealing wide damage to rebels
- Full of resources: provides power ups and health boost to imperial soldiers
- Fearless, strategic, and full of defensive maneuvers and powerful attacks
- Supports plays, buffs team members, and hold positions
- Players that spawn close to her will convert to Alderaan Honor Guards
- Enhanced Squad shield: similar to regular squad shield, but better; strong enough to hold off force attacks; ideal when trying to secure a stronghold of sorts
- Trooper Bane: boosted blaster shot that packs a punch; kills stormtroopers with one hit; stronger enemies will get temporarily stunned
- Gunslinger designed for handling situations alone
- Offensive output, damage, and mobility
- Rapid Fire: allows you to keep firing as fast as you can pull the trigger; no gun overheating; last only a few seconds
- Shoulder Charge: self explanatory title; offensive and defensive move used to quickly get into and out of battles (as seen in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope)
- Lucky Shot: “build up and release” power that hits hard and is effective against vehicles; powerful enough to break Darth Vader’s block
Just hearing about these three being playable is big news, but hearing how each of their interactions throughout the game will be is even better. If you haven’t already pre-ordered Battlefront, we highly recommend it so you’ll be able to experience playing as one of these characters, whether it’s for the dark or light side.
Does the news of these iconic characters being playable excite you? And also, how do you feel about their abilities in the game? Do you want anyone else to be playable? Let us know in the comment section below.
Star Wars: Battlefront will be available to play on November 17th, 2015 for the PS4, Xbox One, and PC Via Origin